Hair Mineral Testing
What is Hair Tissue Mineral Analysis?
A hair tissue mineral analysis (HTMA) simply stated, is a screening test that measures the mineral content of your hair. However, a hair tissue mineral analysis is much more than a test for minerals.
Benefits of Hair Tissue Mineral Analysis
Hair analysis can identify:
- Trace element deficiencies
- Trends for psychological and emotional conditions
- Heavy metal toxicity
- Cellular energy levels
- Glucose tolerance
- Kidney and liver stress
- Adrenal and thyroid activity
- Trends for over 30 health conditions
- Which foods and nutritional supplements are right for you
Providing a mineral blueprint of one’s biochemistry, a hair tissue mineral analysis can provide pertinent information about your metabolic rate, energy levels, sugar and carbohydrate tolerance, stage of stress, immune system and glandular activity.
A hair tissue mineral analysis is a screening test for the level of 20 minerals and toxic metals in a sample of hair. It is a tissue mineral biopsy that is non-invasive, relatively inexpensive and extremely accurate.
A hair tissue mineral analysis is considered a standard test used around the world for the biological monitoring of trace elements and toxic metals in humans and animals. The same technology is used for soil testing and testing of rock samples to detect mineral levels.
Hair, like all other body tissues, contains minerals that are deposited as the hair grows. Although the hair is dead, the minerals remain as the hair continues to grow out. A sample of hair cut close to the scalp provides information about the mineral activity in the hair that took place over the past three to four months, depending on the rate of hair growth.
Why Use Hair?
Hair makes an excellent biopsy because:
- Sampling is simple.
- Mineral levels in the hair are ten times that of the blood, making them easy to detect in the hair.
- The hair provides a cellular reading of the mineral levels. The cells are the major site of metabolic activity in the body.
Preparing the Hair for Testing
The accuracy of the hair test is dependent upon cutting the hair samples properly. All that is needed is a small sample, about the size of a tablespoon. The hair needs to be cut as close to the scalp as possible. This enables us to see the most recent metabolic activity. Any hair longer then one inch long, needs to be cut off and discarded. To reiterate, the hair sample should only be 1 inch long. If hair is short, use a clipper.
How to Cut Hair
How to Cut Hair For Testing
- Cut the sample from anywhere on the head. The nape of the neck is excellent, but other areas are fine, as well. If head hair is not available, the next best hair is from the underarms. On men, beard hair or chest hair will work, as well. If these are not available, some labs will test the minerals in fingernails, and this is fairly accurate. Do not use pubic hair. It is not as accurate, even though some labs allow it.
- Cut the hair as close to the scalp as possible for the most recent and therefore the most accurate readings.
- Then measure about one inch or two centimeters from where it was cut on the head. Cut off the rest of the long hair and throw it away. Using even shorter hair is excellent.
- The best way is usually to cut several little samples and combine them until the paper scale tips or until you have filled a small spoon or have 125 mg of hair.
- Hair that has been tinted, dyed, Highlighted, bleached or permanent-treated may be used. If it has been bleached or permed, please wash the hair several times after the hair treatments before cutting the sample to remove the chemicals and allow the hair to grow out a little.
- Use the scale and envelop provided to mail the sample in.
How the Hair is Analyzed
Hair is analyzed at a reputable lab, which uses the most sophisticated technology to interpret the minerals found in a hair sample.
History and Development of Hair Mineral Testing
Mineral testing by atomic absorption spectroscopy was developed almost 100 years ago. This method is being used in geology, agriculture, plant, animal and human tissue studies. Human hair tissue mineral analysis has been available since 1970s. The technology advancement provided more accurate and reliable results. Dr. Paul Eck was a pioneer in this area. Dr. Laurence Wilson, who is my mentor, worked very closely with Dr. Eck for over 10 years. Dr. Wilson since has expanded on Dr. Eck’s knowledge and he has done a tremendous work looking at thousands of hair results. I am fortunate to have met Dr. Wilson and I continue working with him very closely.
What Are Minerals
You can think of minerals as the “spark plugs of life,” because they activate hundreds of enzyme reactions within the body. Our bones need calcium and magnesium. Zinc is necessary for the immune system and for hormones. Without iron to make up red blood cells, we can’t get oxygen. Copper is used to make enzymes necessary for the production of energy and neurotransmitters such as epinephrine, serotonin and dopamine. Sodium and potassium are considered the electrolytes of the body that help conduct electricity.
Agricultural soil tends to be deficient in minerals, and this affects our body’s mineral content as well, since we eat produce grown in that soil. Stress, medication, birth control pills, toxins and heavy metals can also deplete the body from minerals.
Everyone is exposed to toxic metals and chemicals all the time, but few people take steps to actively detox. You may not currently have any symptoms of any kind, but minerals may be depleting in your body without any early signs. These minerals not only have to be in the right amount in the body, but they also have to be in balance with each other. A Hair Mineral Test can show the ratios of all the minerals in your body. Each ratio can be an indication of an imbalance in an organ.
Who Will Benefit From Hair Analysis?
Hair analysis is for people who want to prevent illnesses or to maintain their health. Wouldn’t you like to know which minerals are high or low in your body before you start experiencing symptoms? This test can tell us.
You can either:
1. Call our office to receive your test kit. Then, you can cut a sample of your hair in the convenience of your own home and send it to the lab.
or 2. You can stop by and have us take a sample of your hair. We will mail the sample ourselves.
What you get:
1. A colored copy of the test result
2. Important informational handouts based on your result
3. 45-60 minute consultation
4. Supplement recommendations based on the test result
5. Further assistance via e-mail or phone, if needed, regarding your personalized program and test result
If you follow the program, you may see some of the following improvements in your health:
1. Increased energy
2. Improved sleep
3. Improved concentration/focus
4. Increased metabolism
5. Re-growth of hair
6. Better skin and nails
7. Better adrenal function
8. Better thyroid function
9. Increased libido
10. Optimal digestion
Retest within 6 months $200
Hair Test only with No Consult $150
“Every sickness, every disease can be traced to a mineral deficiency.” – Linus Pauling, Double Nobel Laureate, 1954 ”